How to travel smarter - Tips for a greater experience

 Hello guys,

It has been a while. Since this Blog is all about honesty, I will being honest, I am gotta tell you the truth. I was all fired up when I first published a blog here. And I was only thinking of what I should be writing next. I was posting everyday. But very soon after, the fire was not burning that bright, and though I still had some drafts ready, about other places I ve been, I just could not put my thoughts together to write something. I was quite busy at work too, trying to learn all the new programmes and studying to pass my tests, so I can start working independently. Also, the company has a very clear policy focusing on individual development, so I have been learning a lot about the soft skills I need for this job.

But today something happened. I have been thinking about travelling everyday for the past few months. Though I ve been away for a few weekends, here and there around Romania, I cannot stop dreaming of the day when the our lives will get back to normal. When we all can travel again. I cannot wait to see new places, to meet again with old friends from other countries. Now, it is very popular to travel to Egypt. Mainly because it is one of the only places where tourists can still enter. So I was checking offers and vlogs about Egypt, talked to my parents about it (they have been there about this time last year), I even saw a documentary about it yesterday - pure coincidence. However, with all the constant changes and the tests you have to get to be able to travel, I am afraid I will have to pass this time. 

Anyways, this blog... As you guess from the title, here I will give you some tips about how you can travel better, smarter and actually make the best out of your trip

1. Do your homework

Were you one of those students who hated doing lots of research for their homeworks, just like me? Well, I am sure this kind of research will be much more enjoyable. Make sure before you plan any trip, you did your homework. Ask around, read articles, check blogs and vlogs about the region. After you choose a location, make sure you are aware of the main attractions, but, more importantly, of the hidden jams. Take notes about that panoramic view spot, not very touristy. Or that local ice cream shop hidden on a narrow street, outside the city-center. This way you can plan your itinerary and see much more than an ordinary tourist.


2. Learn about the culture

Though it is part of your homework, I wanted to mention it alone, so we can emphasis its importance. You do not have to learn the whole history of the country you visit, but make sure you are aware about their culture. The background, the religion, the customs. It is very important to know a bit about it so you can adapt to it and pay respect to it. Locals would appreciate if you respect their culture.


3. Learn a few words

Speaking of the locals, everywhere you go, they will appreciate a foreigner trying to speak their language. I am not saying to be able to have a meaningful conversation, but at least the basics: Hello, Thank you, Please. These words might come in handy when you need some help and directions.


4. Get lost (on purpose)

When I first heard this tip I was a bit confused, but it is the best you can do on a holiday. It means to get exploring. Walk the narrow alley, turn left when you see something different around the corner, though it is not part of the itinerary. When you just follow the road, and you just walk without a purpose, you might encounter the best parts of a town. You will get to feel its vibe. Be careful though, ask before about the sketchy neighbourhoods, and just avoid that part of the town. 

Get outside the beaten paths. Also, if you have a chance try to get out of the major cities, spend at least one night of your holiday is a village, see the countryside, explore the nature, get to see the locals at home, where normal life does not interfere with the tourists crowds.


5. Get up early

We all hate waking up early, especially on holiday, I know. But this is your best chance to have the city for yourself. Get up before sunrise and just walk outside. See the city center without tourists. Admire the tourist attractions for yourself. Watch the city waking up from a view point. Grab an early coffee with the locals. Let's not mention the quietness and the pictures you can take.


6. Try local food

As part of cultural sensitivity, food has a big role. The gastronomy tells a lot about the country historical influences,climate, economic status,  its culture overall. I mean, it is a pity to travel and not try some local traditional dishes. Let yourself be surprised. You can research about it prior, or just ask locals for some advice. 


7. Take many pictures

Last but not least, take many pictures. BUT make sure you do not only see the location through those lenses. I normally do not take pictures when I travel, I feel like I look too much like a tourist and I just simply like to admire the landscape and take mental pictures. However, a while later those "mental pictures" will fade away. So please, take your phone and camera and take pictures of everything, do not be ashamed to show you are a tourist. Moreover, those pictures are the cheapest souvenirs you can get. And when your memory loses a pic, your photo album will be there to remind you of it.


Be a respectful tourist! Pay attention to the local culture! And get lost, take pictures and try out all the local foods available for you.

You do not wanna leave with regrets. Make the best out of your trips by doing some prior research and getting adventurous.

Take care and see the world  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monastery fortress Negru Vodă (Mănăstirea Cetățuia Negru Vodă)

2021 resolution

The Netherlands - More than just Amsterdam