Thailand, budget friendly trip



(Carina Hofi - https://pixabay.com/ro/photos/bangkok-thailanda-wat-arun-5477405/)

I can call myself lucky. Thailand, beside being a country where you can travel on a budget (excluding the flight ticket though), I had friends studying there. So I saved money on accommodation too for several nights. So let me tell you what exactly I did there. 

My ex-roomies, from the Netherlands, moved to Thailand for 3 months on an Exchange programme. I was in Norway on my ERASMUS. When I talked to them one evening, we realized we all have holidays in the same time. So there I was, leaving the -25 degrees Northern Norway to see my roomies in Thailand. It was quite an experience. I had no clothes to pack. No shorts, no T-shirts, no bathing suit. So I took my school backpack, put my passport, ticket and money in a pocket, put on some jeans and the thinnest jacket (down-jacket) and left to the airport.

It was a shock and I literally could not breath when I got out of the airport in Bangkok during my stop-over. I was instantly sweating. I could not wait to meet my friends in Phuket and go shopping, I was dreaming of shorts and a tank-top :)))

Many hours later, there I was, in a Bazar in Phuket shopping, so my holiday can start. In Phuket, a 22 years old with a bunch a university mates for a weekend, you can only imagine. First of all, it is a party place. All loud and bright, you can find a bar or club at every corner. However during the day, there are things to see and do. You can rest on the beach with a cold coconut. You can visit The Big Buddha. You can join a day trip by boat to visit small islands around. The Bond Island is not far, very touristy, but worth seeing. The boat tour will take you to remote islands too, giving you time to rest in a quite, clean sandy beach, take a deep in the clear water or visit caves.


We were there for a weekend and we returned to the outskirts of Bangkok where my friends were studying. Being less crowded this part of Thailand revealed a different world. There were many internationals due to the university, but otherwise few, if any, tourists. I had maybe the best Tofu Pad Thai with 5 chillies. I also tried the Ice dessert, basically just chunks of ice covered in chocolate cream and something that seemed to be white bread. I was actually tasty.


On my last days in The Land of Smiles, we went to Bangkok city to be closer to the attractions. Here are a few things I recommend you to do in Bangkok:

1. Visit the iconic Wat Pho the Reclining Buddha. It is a 46 meters long Buddha statue, all covered in gold

2. Visit the temples: Wat Arun and Wat Phra Kaew. Explore the Grand Palace to see the Kings of Siam Residence. The colors and architecture are captivating 

3. Take a Walk in Lumpini Park. It is a great way to relax and get away from the noisy streets. You can rent a paddle boat, or a bike, or just walk around the park.

4. Try the street food. If you are more courageous try the insects, the scorpions, Balut. If not, you can go for the fried rice or noodles.

5. Climb the Sathorn Unique Tower. For a tip, the guard will let you go inside. Be careful, mind your steps and take many picture of the stunning view from the 49 floor

6. Join a Rooftop pool party. Check in advance which hotel has an "open door party" and make sure you have fun! If there are no pool parties, look for a rooftop bar and have a drink while you admire Bangkok from above.

(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phuket_Thailand_-_panoramio.jpg)


I have only been there quickly, did not have much time to see more of the cultural spots, to explore more of the temples, to rest more on the beaches, to go inside the caves, or to meet the elephants, in a sanctuary (but definitely not to ride them). This is my greatest tip to you all, if you want to see these incredible animals, visit one of the sanctuaries. There the abused mammals are loved and cared for. You can play with them, feed them and see how lovely and friendly they are. This way you do not sponsor the cruelty behind the elephant rides. Same with the tigers... Do your research in advance and learn about those animal-friendly locations for your next trip

With these being said, I would like to know now where you have been in Thailand and what you have done there. Write it below :)

Take care and see the world :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monastery fortress Negru Vodă (Mănăstirea Cetățuia Negru Vodă)

2021 resolution

The Netherlands - More than just Amsterdam